Most swimming pool maintenance can be done by you, the homeowner. It takes learning how to maintain it and carving out the time to do the maintenance on a regular basis, but it is possible to save money as a DIY pool owner. Here are some tips and the frequency with which you should take care of pool cleaning and maintaining for your North Haledon, NJ home pool.
- Skim the pool daily. Especially during the fall months, you’ll have more debris falling into the pool and it’s easiest to skim it off the top before it sinks to the bottom.
- It’s recommended to vacuum the bottom of the pool and brush the sides of the pool weekly during the summer, but in the fall, you may have to vacuum more every 5 days or so to make sure your get all the leaves and debris out of the bottom of the pool.
- Clean out the swimming pool filter out regularly. If you’re not sure, start with daily, then skip days. You’ll need to clean it out more often than during summer.
- If you see there are calcium scales on your heater, call a professional to make sure it is working properly. They can descale it and make sure it’s working properly.
- Maintain the pool chemicals weekly.
- Monitor your pool water levels. Fall is a great time to measure the pool levels to be sure there are no leaks. If they do need to be repaired, that can be done when you winterize the pool.
- Cover the pool with a cover that will allow you to keep the integrity of the pool at its highest through winter.
If you find you don’t have the time or the ability to fulfill some of the swimming pool maintenance duties, call us at Alpa Pools & Spas. We offer swimming pool supplies, services and more. Keep your pool sparkling and well-maintained through the summer and fall months.